Sunday, February 17, 2008

Diba's Healthy Cheese Whey Recipes

This healthy recipe is sent by my friend Diba.

You can make cheese at home and use the whey water for another recipe. Whey is very healthy.

How to make cheese?

To make unprocessed cheese at home you need milk and rennet.

[Vegetarians add a tea spoon of lemon juice to boiling milk to make cheese.]

Diba says:

I warm the milk to 38-40 c , mix rennet with a little water , mix with milk, stir for a minute and then remove from heat.

When set and cool, I transfer the milk to the fridge, let stay for 12 hours and then strain in a cheesecloth.

I get around 1 1/2 litre whey.

I add salt after straining. You can add caraway, if u like.

[Rennet is the additive which sets the cheese , curdles milk. You can also add 1/4 cup yoghurt and keep on fire for 1 miute and stir , but rennet is better.]

I always make cheese at home and use the whey water in cakes, breads.

How do you use Whey to make bread?

Diba made paneer (cheese) for her guests and used the whey to make her bread.

Take 1 litre of Whey.

Add 1 tb spoon of salt.

Add 1 tb spoon of yeast.

Stir well.

Add 2 cups of bran.

Add 2 cups of whole wheat flour.

Leave it for 3 hours, let it rise.

Grease 30 x 40cm x 3cm pan.

Spread the wheat flour mixture with a spoon.

Let it rise for 15 mts.

Bake at 180 C in the oven.

You will see it turn wonderfully light :)

You can also add dried aromatic herbs.

Diba says, "This bread is mixed with spoon only, no knead, that's why i invented it !!!"

Try this and let me know if you have any questions. I will get you the answers from Diba.

Thanks Diba for the great recipe!

2 comments:

kate said...

Thank you for the recipe, I have a lot of Whey this is a wonderful way to use it!

AmyMacNZ said...

Wow, this was a super salty recipe. Mine didn't rise very well, and the wet dough didn't cook properly, even after a long time in the oven. I was also surprised that there wasn't any sugar needed in the recipe.